Tempe Homicide & Murder Defense Attorneys
Representing Clients in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa & Throughout Arizona
The attorneys at Oliverson & Huss Law PLLC have extensive experience representing clients charged with homicide, murder, and manslaughter. With the likelihood of a lengthy prison sentence, including the possibility of a lifetime behind bars, it is vital that you have an experienced and aggressive criminal defense attorney on your side if you are facing homicide, murder, or manslaughter charges.
Types of Homicide Charges We Handle
Below, we’ve outlined the different types of homicide charges we defend against.
This involves premeditated killing and includes the death of an unborn child.
If the crime occurred prior to August 2, 2012:
- Minimum sentence of life imprisonment with no possibility of release until 25 years of prison time has been served
- “Natural life,” which is life in prison without the possibility of parole
- Maximum penalty of “capital punishment” (death)
If the crime occurred after August 2, 2012:
- Natural life in prison
- Death penalty
This involves intentional but not premeditated murder, such as murder arising from “heat-of-passion” or a sudden quarrel. It also involves cases of extreme indifference to human life resulting in death.
- Between 10 and 22 years in prison, with a presumptive term of 16 years in prison
Manslaughter is used to describe reckless actions that result in death. Examples of manslaughter include assisting a suicide, a coerced killing under threat to your own life or loved ones, second-degree murder upon adequate provocation, or causing the death of an unborn child.
- First offense: Between 7 and 21 years in prison, with a presumptive term of 10 years, 6 months in prison
- One historical prior felony conviction: between 14 and 28 years in prison, with a presumptive term of 15 years, 9 months in prison
- Two historical prior felony convictions: between 21 and 35 years in prison, with a presumptive term of 28 years in prison
Negligent homicide involves criminal negligence that causes the death of a person or unborn child.
If the offense did not involve a deadly weapon:
- First offense: probation with up to 1 year in jail; if prison is ordered, 1 year to 3 years, 9 months in prison
- One historical prior felony conviction: between 2 years, 3 months and 7 years, 6 months in prison
- Two historical prior felony convictions: between 6 and 15 years in prison
If it is determined that the offense involved a deadly instrument or deadly weapon:
- First offense: between 4 and 8 years in prison, with a presumptive term of 6 years in prison
- One historical prior felony conviction: between 8 and 12 years in prison, with a presumptive term of 10 years in prison
- Two historical prior felony convictions: between 12 and 16 years in prison, with a presumptive term of 14 years in prison
Because these types of charges involve the most serious type of criminal offense in Arizona, most prosecutors’ offices will put their best attorneys in charge of prosecuting your case.
How Our Firm Can Help
At Oliverson & Huss Law PLLC, your team of Tempe murder defense attorneys has the experience necessary to aggressively investigate and examine all of the state’s evidence. We utilize every defense available and work with a team of experts in various fields to build a solid case on your behalf.
Over 40 Years of Collective Experience
Over the length of their careers, the attorneys at Oliverson & Huss have helped thousands of people successfully fight their criminal charges.
Former Prosecutors & a Former Judge
As former prosecutors, police officers and judges, our attorneys have experience on all sides of the law. This special insight allows them to better defend your case.
Highly Communicative & Responsive
Our attorneys will work closely with you, diligently keeping you fully informed and updated on your case from beginning to end.
Team Approach to Your Case
At Oliverson & Huss, you get access to three experienced attorneys who work together to achieve the best possible result for you.
When it comes to defending our clients, we believe two heads are better than one. When you hire us, you get a team of attorneys who will look at your case and offer their perspective in an effort to get you the best possible result.