Arizona Shoplifting Lawyers
Laws on Shoplifting in Arizona
Under Arizona law, shoplifting is defined as stealing or removing an item from a retail store. It is one of the most common criminal charges filed in Arizona’s courts. Though many people do not think of it as a serious offense, shoplifting is very serious and can have a substantial impact on your life and future. Not only are you looking at the possibility of jail time, high fines, and probation, but a conviction could also affect your ability to obtain future employment and housing.
At Oliverson & Huss Law PLLC, we have extensive experience handling thousands of shoplifting cases in Tempe, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa, and throughout all of Arizona. Our criminal defense attorneys are prepared to protect your rights and your future.
Arizona Shoplifting Penalties
The possible penalties for shoplifting vary depending on the value of the taken items/goods, as well as the alleged offender’s prior criminal record (if any).
If charged with shoplifting in Arizona, you could face the following penalties:
- If the property taken was valued at less than $1,000, it will be charged as a Class 1 misdemeanor, punishable by up to 6 months in jail, 3 years of probation, and $2,500 in court fines plus surcharges
- If the property taken was valued between $1,000 and $2,000, the offense will be charged as a Class 6 felony, punishable by up to 2 years in prison for a first offense
- If the property taken was valued at $2,000 or more, it will be charged as a Class 5 felony, punishable by up to 2 years, 6 months in prison for a first offense
- If the item stolen is a firearm, it will be charged as a Class 6 felony
- If you use a device to facilitate shoplifting, it will be charged as a Class 5 felony
Additionally, if you have any historical prior felony convictions and are convicted of another felony, the court will be required to sentence you to a term in prison.
Request Your Free Case Evaluation Now
Don’t let a shoplifting charge impact your life and future. Turn to the Arizona shoplifting lawyers at Oliverson & Huss Law PLLC. We understand how the system works, and we know how to fight to reduce your charges and/or sentencing. Depending on the circumstances of your case, we may even be able to have your charges dismissed.
Over 40 Years of Collective Experience
Over the length of their careers, the attorneys at Oliverson & Huss have helped thousands of people successfully fight their criminal charges.
Former Prosecutors & a Former Judge
As former prosecutors, police officers and judges, our attorneys have experience on all sides of the law. This special insight allows them to better defend your case.
Highly Communicative & Responsive
Our attorneys will work closely with you, diligently keeping you fully informed and updated on your case from beginning to end.
Team Approach to Your Case
At Oliverson & Huss, you get access to three experienced attorneys who work together to achieve the best possible result for you.
When it comes to defending our clients, we believe two heads are better than one. When you hire us, you get a team of attorneys who will look at your case and offer their perspective in an effort to get you the best possible result.